• Wearing Your Tie Too Tight May Increase Your Eye Pressure
Researchers at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary found that wearing a tightly fitted necktie increases intraocular pressure (the pressure inside the eye). Elevated eye pressure increases the likelihood of developing glaucoma. (British Journal of Ophthalmology. August 2003)
• Vistakon (a division of the Johnson & Johnson Corporation) has recently released ACUVUE® OASYS™ with HYDRACLEAR™ PLUS contact lenses. These exciting new two week disposable lenses have been designed for increased comfort and oxygen transmission. Contact the office for more information.
• Vistakon’s Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism offers superior vision, comfort, and breathablity to patients with astigmatism. Using an Accelerated Stabilization Design, Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism remains positioned correctly to provide the patient with crisp, steady vision throughout the day.
• Bausch & Lomb’s Purevision contact lens is now available for patients with astigmatism. Previously only available to patients with minimal or no astigmatism, this lens is made of the same ultra extremely breathable lens material as the original Purevision Aspheric contact lens. The new Purevision Toric can be worn continuously or may be taken out nightly for up to 30 days. Contact the office for more information.
• Ciba Vision’s new O2Optix contact lens allows more oxygen to the eye while maintaining a highly comfortable fit. These lenses have been FDA approved for up to 2 weeks of continuous wear. Contact the office for more information.
• Freshlook Colorblends color contact lenses are now available in a one-day disposable design. New Freshlook ONE-DAY color contact lenses are created for patients who desire the convenience of a one-day disposable lens in a variety of colors. Go with gorgeous blue eyes one day and sultry pure hazel the next.
• Ciba Vision offers a breakthrough in contact lens disinfection with it’s new PROGUARDTM lens case. Available with every purchase of Aquify multipurpose contact lens cleaning solution, Ciba’s new PROGUARDTM lens case is infused with silver ions which act to reduce contact lens case contamination by 40%.
• Study Finds Relationship between Diabetic Eye Changes and Risk of Amputation
Researchers from the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences at the University of Wisconsin and the Singapore Eye Research Institute have discovered a correlation between narrowing of the retinal blood vessels in diabetic patients and the need for lower extremity amputation. Patients in the study who exhibited narrowing retinal blood vessels secondary to diabetes were three times more likely to undergo amputation than those whose retinal vasculature remained normal. (Archives of Internal Medicine, November 2003)
• Indian Ophthalmologists Find Link between Glucose Levels in Tears and Blood Glucose Levels
A study conducted by researchers from the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology in Kolkata, India have found that the levels of glucose in tears are proportional to those found in blood. This study implies that diabetic patients may some day be able to use their tears as an alternative method of measuring blood sugar. Obtaining tear samples may be less invasive, less expensive and more sanitary than traditional methods of blood glucose testing. (Journal of Association of Physicians of India. August 2003)